Thursday, December 05, 2013

The Rear View Mirror

Not many spend much time looking in the rear view mirror while they're driving forward. Yet it is always good to check it now and then to see what's coming up behind you. I would also suppose that many don't consider looking backward as they plow forward through life. This can be a dreadful mistake. Did you know that history has a habit of repeating itself? A simple example of this is found in families. You've heard it said that fruit doesn't fall far from the tree; well this is a simple example of history repeating itself in families. But it can also repeat itself in our own lives. The problem is that we often don't look backward before we move forward. Confused? Let me try to explain. It is often said that our past is a good predictor of our future. Although this doesn't have to be so, it often is. Why? Let me simply that it is because we don't look at our past in a way that we can make course corrections for our future. Looking back over our pasts can be a great way of learning. The mistakes we've made, the attitudes we've had, and the behavior that we've exhibited can all be changed, if we choose to. Looking backward can be a way of reflecting on what our future may hold. We can have the opportunity to ask ourselves if we want to continue on the same path we've been traveling, or if we want to make a change. Change is wonderful, but we will also find that our old habits die-hard. Learning from our past means that we have to make a consecrated effort to change direction to get to where we really want to go. I've learned, and am still learning, that I have control of my destiny. Although it's true that I can't control what happens to me, I can control how I deal and respond to it. It's the same with my past. I might not be able to change my past, but I certainly have the ability to change my future. The choice is ultimately mine, but it will take looking in the rear view mirror as I go. By doing this on a regular basis we each will have a better chance of having a more positive outcome for our future. Think about it.

No comments: